I chiseled, then sanded away the vertical bracing that appears to have been done once before. I also removed the old linings.
The side reinforcement strips being reglued and in some cases replaced.
I made an exaggerated X-brace that forced the top back into its original arch. I then mated the X-intersection, applied glue, and clamped them into position.
My assistant in this timely and strategic glue up (McCoy Tyler) was a great help. The glue sets up fairly quick, so 2 extra hands are welcomed.
The completed 'clampage.'
I made a reinforcement bridge plate that mirrored the desired arch of the bracing and a clamping caul with the same arch, then clamped it up.
Heres a pic showing the beginning of the lining replacement. I cut kerning slots so that the strips can flex with the contour of the sides. The linings are needed to increase the gluing surface of the back's reunion with the sides.
Another shot of the lining installation. In the next week, I will mate, then reglue, the back to the sides.
Till next time, Al.